Backache, is one of the most common conditions with persistent pain. The pain can be mild, irritating in many ailments like leucorrhea and can be severe in sciatica or slipped disc. The problem can cause difficulty in bending forward and also on sideways. Feeling as if entire area is sore and sensitive to even slight touch.
Scroll down this page to read about these herbal products for Back Pain
An article on Back Pain by Dr. Vikram Chauhan - MD (Ayurveda)
The most common problem a physician comes across in his clinic is back pain. Backache is one of the commonest of all the complaints. The backache can be mild dull ache to a severe exruciating back pain radiating to legs because of sciatica and may cause someone to take complete bed rest and restrict range of movement of back. Here are some of the causes of back pain.
The main causes of back pain are -
1. Osteoarthritis- Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease causing destruction of synovial membrane, synovial fluid and formation of osteophytes i.e. bony framgents which rub against the bones and cartilages within and around the joint. The joint space is impossibly reduced in severe cases causing extensive reduction in range of movement. Osteoarthritis generally affects the knee joints and vertebral column of the females as low estrogen levels cause extensive joint erosion and calcium depletion (osteoporosis)after menopause. The knee joint is no more able to bear the weight of the entire body and ultimately the joint space is reduced. Loosing some weight is the key to treat osteoarthritis is obese patients. Quadriceps muscles (thigh) muscle strengthening exercises are recommended to increase the joint support. Nutrition plays a very important role in all the degenerative diseases like osteoarthritis. Natural calcium and vitamins like Aloe vera juice is recommended along with other herbs for osteoarthritis. Long distance walk, climbing of stairs, squating, sitting on knees is forbidden in cases of osteoarthritis. Massage with anti-inflammatory oils is recommended.
2. Sciatica - It is a condition in which the sciatic nerve is pressed upon by the protruding disc,which can prolapse out of the intervertebral space due to injury or pull. The disc can also bulge out of the intervertebral space because of the prolonged wrong posture and degenerative osteoarthritis causing severe back pain radiating towards back of the legs upto to the feet sometimes. It is a condition in which the back pain is so severe that a person feels comfortable after strong muscle relaxants, pain killers and other drugs. Herbal remedies for such back pain are arthritis support, kaishore gugul, stress support and ashwagandha powder helps a lot in this condition.These herbs are available at our website.
3. Rheumatoid Back Pain - Rheumatoid Back Pain is a chronic disease that causes pain, stiffness, swelling, and decreased range of motion and function of multiple joints. Rheumatism is caused by fault in our immune system. Although it is a disease of the joints but other body parts also get affected as they also become inflammed.
The stiffness of joints in rheumatoid arthritis starts early morning and slowly gets reduced as the day passes. Morning stiffness is an important diagnositic hint for rheumatoid arthritis even if the RA factor is negative. For example, osteoarthritis does not generally cause prolonged morning stiffness. This disease affects smaller joints more rather than big joints. Bigger joints are involved in severe cases and the patient may become bed ridden. The back pain in rheumatoid arthritis is very severe can also cripple someone becauses of its severe form. Such backache can be helped by Kaishore guggul, Aamvatantak Churna, Stress Support, Ashwagandha, Punarnava mandoor, Yograj guggul etc. All these herbs are also available at our website.
Other symptoms that may accompany rheumatoid arhritis with painful stiff joints are-Anemia, loss of energy , loss of appetite, low-grade fevers. Sometimes there is an associated condition known as Sjogren's syndroe which results in dry eyes and dry mouth.
4. Back pain due to Constipation- Sometimes constipation may also cause mild backache, which can be on and off in nature. It is relieved as the contipation is relieved.
5. Back Pain due to pelvic conditions-Some conditions such as inflammation in the pelvic organs like uterus, ovaries, urinary bladder, kidneyes, ureteric stones, prostate, recutm diseases can also cause backache. Herbs like Kumari Saar, Punarnava Mandoor, Chanderprabha vati etc. help a lot in such conditions.
6. Ankylosing spondylitis - Ankylosing spondylitis is among many other diseases which comprise the group of rheumatic diseases. This is also caused by some fault in our immune system. A specific Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) tissue type called HLA-B27 occurs in about 90% of individuals with ankylosing spondylitis.The disease affects the vertebral column in large and causes widespread destruction of most of the intervertebral as well as hip joints, resulting in marked stiffness and decreased range of movement. There are some useful herbal remedies for ankylosing spondylitis like aam-vatantak churna, capsules Back Pain support, Yograj Guggul and Kaishire Guggul tablets. Kumari Saar (Aloe vera juice) should be consumed regularly to improve overall outcome of this natural treatment of ankylosing spondylitis. All these herbal remedies for backpain due to ankylosing spondylitis are available at our website.
There are many herbs which are described in Ayurveda for Back Pain. These herbs are useful in all types of backache. The back pain can be due to osteo arthrits, rheumatoid arthritis and other forms of inflammatory joint conditions, inflammatory pelvic conditions, stress and strain on back muscles, sciatica and many others. The herbal remedies explained here act at different levels in differenet conditions. Some of them reduce the pain, some reduce inflammation while herbs like Giloy (Tinospora and Ashwagandha ) are helpful in autoimmune disorders like Ankylosing spondylitis and rheumatoid arthritis. Mild backache can be cured by consuming herbs like turmeric boiled in milk consumed for 10 -15 days. Other herbs useful in bak pain are-
Nirgundi (Vitex negundo): Vitex negundo is described in Ayurveda as one of the most potent natural anti-arthritic herbs. It is very effective in controlling pain and inflammation particularly in backache and sciatica patients.
Shallaki (Boswellia serrata): Boswellia serrata is a very popular natural anti-inflammatory herb used by Ayurveda physicians all over the world. It is commonly known in India as 'Salai Guggul'. The resin obtained from the tree is purified and then used for pain and inflammation.It relieves bachache naturally without causing any side effects.
Guggul (Commiphora mukul): Commiphora mukul is a known anti-inflammatory agent used by Ayurveda physicians worldwide. The analgesic and anti-inflammatory action is almost immediate. Guggul is also used in weight loss formulas and is effective in reducing weight, thus helping osteoarthritis patients directly and indirectly. It also reduces blood cholesterol levels.
Sonth (Zingiber officinale): It is commonly known as dry ginger. Dry Ginger is another useful anti-inflammatory herb. It also improves appetite and good for digestive and respiratory system. Dry ginger remarkably reduce markers of inflammation in the blood and is a very potent analgesic.
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha is popularly known as Indian ginseng in the west. It has known anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and anti-stress activities. The plant steroids exert anti-inflammatory action where as another active ingredient of this herb root is Withaferin, Which act as a potent stress buster.
Joint Aid Plus is a blend of unique herbs described in Ayurveda as best anti-inflammatory herbs. These rare herbs are nature's answer to moderate to severe forms of inflammation, swelling and pain. Joint Aid Plus contains extracts of Nirgundi, Shallaki, Guggul, Ginger, Giloy and Ashwagandha. These herbs act together in a synergistic manner and control acute and chronic inflammatory reactions.
Herbs in Joint Aid Plus: Joint Aid Plus is purely a herbal formulation without any chemicals added into it. The ingredients are frequently used in Ayurvedic system of medicine since 5,000 B.C. without any side effects.
(Capsules Arthritis Support contains pure herbs for Back Pain, explained above)
|Sr. No.||Herb Used||Latin Name||Quantity|
|1||Nirgundi||Vitex negundo||100 mg|
|2||Shallaki||Boswellia serrata||150 mg|
|3||Guggul||Commiphora mukul||150 mg|
|4||Sonth||Zingiber officinale||50 mg|
|5||Ashwagandha||Withania somnifera||50 mg|